ASVAB Testing Information
(Updated September 15, 2021)
The Armed Services Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) is an aptitude test that helps predict future academic and occupational success. It is scheduled one time each school year for all sophomore students at Norwin High School. The exam is also opened up to juniors and seniors interested in taking it an additional time.
Norwin High School uses results of the ASVAB to help young people explore their strengths and make informed career decisions. It is also a potential graduation pathway. Following the exam, students receive a Career Exploration Guide alongside their individualized test results. This guide includes an interest inventory that will help students use their interests and ASVAB scores to explore occupations
Students are not obligated to the military in any way as a results of taking the exam.
About the ASVAB Exam
Testing Time: 3 Hours
Structure: There are eight subtests, as follows:
- General Science (25 questions)
- measuring knowledge of life science, earth and space science, and physical science
- Arithmetic Reasoning (30 questions)
- measuring ability to solve basic arithmetic word problems
- Word Knowledge (35 questions)
- measuring ability to understand the meaning of words through synonyms
- Paragraph Comprehension (15 questions)
- measuring ability to obtain information from written material
- Mathematics Knowledge (25 questions)
- measuring knowledge of mathematical concepts and applications
- Electronics Information (20 questions)
- measuring knowledge of electrical current, circuits, devices, and electronic systems
- Auto & Shop Information (25 questions)
- measuring knowledge of wood and metal shop practices
- Mechanical Comprehension (25 questions)
- measuring knowledge of the principles of mechanical devices, structural support, and properties of materials
The ASVAB Summary Results sheet reports percentile scores, and standard scores for each subtest and the three Career Exploration Scores, as well as a score for the Armed Forces Qualification Test (AFQT).
Details, Dates, & Deadlines
Norwin High School Class of 2024 are scheduled to take the ASVAB on October 13, 2021.
Develop your Skills